Sunday, August 23, 2015

Sunday Journal Prompt

“The time to take the cookies is when they’re being passed.”

 
Cicely Clark O’Donovan, my grandmother

 
My cousins and I often repeat our grandmother’s words: “The time to take the cookies is when they’re being passed.” In other words, seize the day. Don’t let an opportunity pass you by but rather assert yourself in the moment.

My husband has taught our sons to step up when an opportunity arises. When we visited NBC Studios in Rockefeller Center, the tour guide asked for volunteers when our group entered a mock newsroom. For a split second people looked at each other. Yet before I could even process what we might be in for, my boys, at ages 12 and 14, shot up their hands. “I’ll do it,” Alex shouted. “Me too,” Michael said. They were all in. And I treasure the videos of their mock newscasts, an experience that enriched our trip to New York City. 

I tend to think too much about opportunities that come my way. I ask countless questions to know exactly what to expect. Of course, in some cases, this is a wise move. Before moving four states away, I wanted to know as much as possible about what the new job would entail and what the city had to offer. But other times I know I’d benefit from taking a chance, from taking those cookies when they’re being passed, even if I don’t know exactly what they’re going to taste like.

When have you hesitated and when have you jumped at opportunities?
What were the results?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment