Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sunday Journal Prompt

 “Everyone should have a place where you can go to feel safe and happy.”

 
– Dr. Nancy Mramor, psychologist 

 
Dr. Nancy Mramor, a psychologist who leads workshops on achieving happiness, advocates for all people to have a place to go to feel safe and happy. “It may be a place you can physically visit or, at times, even just imagine, but it must be a respite that recharges you,” she says in an article on www.livehappy.com.

The Scioto River near my home is one of my happy places. I purposely take the scenic route to work, avoiding the highway and instead driving along Riverside Drive. My commute takes an extra 15 minutes, but the rewards are high. During each season, I feel more at peace while I anticipate the day ahead. Even though I’m in my car instead of outside in nature, it seems like I can breathe more deeply when the water is in sight. Beautiful old homes, some with horse farms, align one side of the road, and the river flows on the other side. Often I’ll spot people in row boats, motor boats and canoes enjoying the setting. One winter morning I delighted in seeing a group of deer, including two fawn, walking across the frozen river toward shore. 

 
What or where is one of your happy places? How can you adjust your day or your week to visit it regularly—in person or through your imagination?   
 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment