Sunday, June 5, 2016

Sunday Journal Prompt

Thinking Time

I’ve been told that my paternal grandfather enjoyed his “thinking time,” time alone to reflect on his life. I thought of this during a recent airplane flight. While I had a magazine article assignment and student recommendation letters to write, I didn’t open my laptop, nor did I read. I did nothing but stare out the window and think.
 
My mind wandered from daily things like my to-do list and plans for the coming week to reflections on the significance of my son’s high school graduation and thoughts about a side business idea. Soon I let my mind focus on clouds that resembled the “snow rollers” created by gusty winds in our neighborhood a few winters ago. During the plane's descent, I seemed to go into a meditative state, mesmerized by the quilt of farmland beneath me. After landing, I felt more energized than I had in days. 
 
 
How often do you simply give yourself time to think? How can you work it into your life this week?
 
 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment