Sunday, January 20, 2019

Sunday Journal Prompt

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.” 

– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 


As a planner, I like to know what I’m getting myself into before embarking on a new endeavor. You’d think that I would’ve learned by now that often things don’t go as we expect them to—for the better or for the worse. Still, it’s difficult for me to jump into a situation in which I don’t feel I can predict the outcome. 

This week I’ll begin teaching a new journaling and memoir class at a state-run correctional institution. I don’t know what to expect. Will my all-male students be receptive to what I teach? Will I feel safe? All I know is that, when I was asked to teach there, something in me felt pulled to say yes. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. calls for us to have faith in taking the first step. As I prepare for the unexpected, I look to his words for encouragement.



What uncertainty lies before you? How can you take the first step toward it?


No comments:

Post a Comment