Sunday, July 8, 2018

Sunday Journal Prompt

“What we think, we become.” 

– Buddha 


If, as Buddha said, we become what we think, what are you becoming? What types of thoughts consume your life? For many, thoughts of worry and fear take up a lot of brain space. We build intricate “What if?” scenarios in our minds, boosting our stress levels about things that may never happen. Why, why, why do we do this? Perhaps we think it’s a way to protect ourselves—to prepare ourselves for undesired possibilities so that we won’t be blindsided, so that we can strategize ways to deal with disappointments. Not only does this zap our energy, but it removes us from the present moment. And who knows? Maybe constantly thinking about worst-case scenarios helps draw them near.

When I picture myself falling or losing my balance while in half-moon or Warrior III yoga poses, I fall. When I look down while in crow position, I fall down. However, when I keep my neck in line with my spine, focus on my foundation and envision myself mastering a position, I maintain my equilibrium. In the same way, thinking about the person we want to be can guide us toward that vision. And journaling helps solidify it.

How might you shift your thoughts to think more about who you want to become?


No comments:

Post a Comment