Sunday, November 26, 2017

Sunday Journal Prompt

“We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorns have roses.”

 – Alphonse Karr, A Tour Round My Garden
 
Thanksgiving marks a time of feeling gratitude for the people in our lives and the blessings of the preceding year. Researchers at Harvard Medical School, the Mayo Clinic and beyond have discovered that expressing gratitude boosts immunity, decreases risk of disease, boosts empathy, minimizes resentment and aggression, improves self-esteem, raises resilience and improves sleep quality.

For several months, I’ve kept a gratitude journal on my nightstand in which I’ve written one line before going to sleep. Whereas I process challenging encounters or work out problems for twenty minutes during my morning journal writing, this gratitude list took less than a minute each night. I didn’t think it would make a difference. However, I’ve found that it helps me shift any negative thinking, feel less worry and go to bed reflecting on a positive moment of the day. Taken collectively, the lines of gratitude give me a snapshot of the gifts in my life.   

What are you thankful for today?



 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Jenny. Needed that. On the gratitude theme, I wanted to share a long-forgotten association which popped into my head when I read the quote about the thorns and rose bushes. I am old enough to remember the movie "Pollyanna" (starring a very young Hayley Mills) when it was all the rage. I was only a child then, and heartily shared the character's sunny disposition and unswerving optimism. My idealism served me well until I was knocked flat more than once by the darker side of life (as most of us are). Now, after five plus decades, I am no longer naïve. But with age comes wisdom, and I find myself now back full circle - assured that the joy and light is always there, if I remember to look. Which reminds me - I need to get out my gratitude journal tonight, dust it off, and begin again. Thanks for the prompt! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, how lovely that the joy and light have returned for you. Grateful for your support, Jenny

    ReplyDelete