Sunday, April 23, 2017

Sunday Journal Prompt

“There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.” 

- Edith Wharton


I’ve been on a bit of a high lately, as I’ve been blessed to be in touch with loved ones near and far in honor of my birthday—a chance to “be the candle.” Though the celebrations have passed and I’m refocused on grading end-of-term papers, I’m still feeling the light.
 
As I read and respond to final analysis papers written by my students in the honors program, I feel such a sense of joy for them. Many had come to my office early in the semester to confess uncertainty or fear about their research projects. Breaking out of the five-paragraph mold and exploring a new approach to writing contradicted all they’d been taught. Months later, they’ve proven to themselves that they could master what they initially resisted, as their work reflects curiosity and sophisticated thinking. I view my feedback to them as an opportunity to be “the mirror” that reflects their light, a chance to celebrate them and the progress they’ve made.

How can you spread light by reflecting the candles around you?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment