Sunday, November 25, 2018

Sunday Journal Prompt

“I’m not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions.” 

– Stephen Covey 


It’s easy for me to blame my circumstances for my actions—or my lack of action: “Teaching takes up too much time, so I can’t work on my book during the school year” or “Crohn’s disease prevents me from having the energy other people have.” But the fact is, I have choices. I can’t add more hours to the week, but I can choose to spend less of my time on teaching or other tasks and instead put more time into working on my book. When I choose to manage my Crohn’s and other autoimmune illnesses through a Paleo eating plan (no sugar, dairy or starches), I’m able to put my Crohn’s flare-ups and autoimmune issues into remission while boosting my energy.

Still, choosing what’s right for us can be draining. The key is to build habits so we don’t have to negotiate with ourselves so often. Lately I’ve been paying more attention to my language. Rather than saying, “I try to do X,” I replace it with “I choose to do X” or “I do X”: To work toward my goal of publishing a book, I choose to make time to work on my book on Friday mornin
gs before work. To manage my Crohns disease, I follow a Paleo eating plan with one off-plan meal per week. Thinking of these as decisions I’ve made rather than as burdens I bear helps keep me motivated. Over time, decisions like these become easier, as they become part of who we are. Of course, travel and emergencies sometimes disrupt our routines. Getting back on track is always a challenge for me, but writing about the reasons I originally chose the path reinforces my resolve. 


What are some ways you can make healthier decisions easier on yourself?


No comments:

Post a Comment